"I enjoy being the explorer as well as the photographer. For me photography of the natural world is more than just pretty settings and cuddly animal pictures. It's a concern for the environment and the earth all living creatures must share".
For 25 years, Dan has been pursuing his life long dream of photographing nature in all its elements. He’s traveled to all seven continents, plying his craft in search of the images that help tell the stories and inspire his art. Driving rain, spitting snow and howling wind are all part of the environment he calls home. For Dan bad weather means great light, unusual clouds and dramatic settings. Internationally recognized, Dan has used his exceptional vision and passion for nature to bring it to life for his viewers. His dedication and love for his photography and the environment has earned him high regard in his profession.
• Cover Story National Geographic: Snowy Owl 2002
• Cover Story National Geographic: Great Gray Owl 2005
• Hundreds of magazine covers throughout career and regular contributor to magazines worldwide
• Sole photographer for 20 books
• Advisory Board Member of Polar Bears International
• "Legends Behind the Lens" Nikon photographer with special appearances at Photo Plus Expo (NY), Focus on Imaging (UK), Disney Institute
• Consultant for Hewlett Packard for their fine art printers - "HP Success Story" for three years and beta-tester for ARTtrust print certification system
• Featured work in galleries Nikon House (NY), Smithsonian and the Natural History Museum in London
• Mentor for Popular Photography Mentor Treks
• Featured photographer for LowePro products and magazine campaign
• Featured portfolio in many magazines including Popular Photography, Nikon World, American Photo, Outdoor Photographer, Digital SLR (UK), Asian Photography, Foto-Video (Romania)
• Assignment work for Coca Cola, World Wildlife Fund, and Roche Pharmaceuticals
• Keynote Speaker at NANPA (North American Nature Photographers Association)
• Special Appearances on Animal Planet
• 2008 1st Place Pro Division "Connecting People with Nature" National Wildlife Federation
• 2008 Two Honorable Mentions “Images of the Year” American Photo Magazine
• 2004 Third Place "Nature Category" IPA Lucie Awards
• 2004 Runner Up “Best Portfolio” International Wild Bird Photographer
• 2003 Won Landscape Category - Nature’s Best
• 1990 and 1997 First Runner Up in the Animal Portrait Division BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition, 13 Highly Commended awards, one of the most awarded photographers in the competition.
Dan supports non-profit conservation groups including National Wildlife Federation, Polar Bears International, National Geographic, Owl Research Institute, World Wildlife Fund, Audubon, Defenders of Wildlife, Natural Resource Defense Council, Sierra Club, Yellowstone to Yukon, American Land Conservancy, Audubon, Roots and Shoots, Smithsonian, ARKive, eNature, American Museum of Natural History, Maryland Zoo, Columbus Zoo, Cougar Network, Predator Conservation Alliance, The Wolverine Foundation and The International Wolf Centre to name a few.
Dan and his wife Tanya work together leading natural history photo tours around the world. Between traveling and assignments, Dan teaches workshops and private photography and workflow sessions.
COPYRIGHT NOTICE: All photographs appearing on this site are the property of Natural Exposures, Inc. These photographs are protected by U.S. copyright laws and have been registered with the U.S. Copyright office. They are not to be downloaded or reproduced in any way, without the written permission of Natural Exposures, Inc. By entering this site you accept these terms. If you need to contact us at Natural Exposures, Inc. please call 1.406.556.8212
Did you find the wildlife stock photography or nature pictures you were looking for? Please contact our staff at 1.406.556.8212 or email@example.com for an in-house search of additional images from our main office files